Innovative complete immunoassay to assess semen quality in ram (all breeds).
The Ram 4MID® Kit (Ref. 4VDX-18K7) is the first immunoassay that validates objectively semen quality by quantifying a protein biomarker named proAKAP4 in samples of ram semen.
This ELISA kit is the 1st functional test to evaluate sperm quality in rams (all breeds).
The dosage of the proAKAP4 biomarker with the Ram 4MID® Kit, will bring:
- Objective information on semen quality
- Qualification of each breeding male and their ejaculates
- Pertinent parameter to improve sperm cryopreservation
- Selection of semen with long-lasting motility at post-thaw
- A functional indicator correlated to fertility
The concentration of the proAKAP4 biomarker is a good indicator of sperm quality and of how the spermatozoa can keep its motility high and efficient overtimes (Sergeant et al., 2019).
High concentrations of proAKAP4 help select semen with long lasting motility and are indicative of good spermatogenesis, giving more mature, more “normal’ spermatozoa and less tail abnormalities ratio in bull semen samples (Bastan and Akcay, 2021).
Technical data of the Ram 4MID® Kit:
- Name: Ram 4MID® Kit
- Specificity : ram proAKAP4 (all breeds)
- This ELISA kit makes it possible to test from 1 to 88 samples simultaneously or individually (12 strips of 8 wells per microplate of 96 wells / per kit)
- Working with ejaculate, chilled or frozen semen
- Easy to use immunoassay
- Easy to interpret
- Robust, objective and reproductible method
Research Use Only Product (RUO) / Not for Diagnosis or Therapeutic Use.
References about AKAP4/proAKAP4 marker for semen quality assessments:
- Riesco MF, Neila-Montero M, Palacín-Martínez C, Montes-Garrido R, Álvarez R; Boixo JC; De Paz P and Anel L and Anel-López L (2022) Establishment of innovative biomarkers to optimize cooling and cryopreservation protocols in ram sperm. Reproduction in Domestic Animals. Vol. 57(1):101.
- Carracedo S, Briand-Amirat L, Dordas-Perpinyà M, Ramos Escuredo Y, Delcombel R, Sergeant N and Delehedde M (2022) ProAKAP4 protein marker: towards a functional approach to male fertility. Animal Reproduction Science. Vol.247(107074):1-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anireprosci.2022.107074
- Dordas-Perpinya M, Yanez I, Catalan J, Eddarkaoui S, Delehedde M, Sergeant N, Bruyas JF, Briand-Amirat L, and Miró J (2022) ProAKAP4 concentrations in stallion and donkey: Comparison with kinetic parameters, motility and concentration. Reproduction in Domestic Animals. Vol. 57(1):61.
- Kowalczyk A, Gałeska E and Bubel A (2022) The concentration of proAKAP4 and other indicators of cryopotential of spermatozoa cryopreserved in extender with holothuroidea extract addition. Animals. Vol. 12:521.
- Bastan I and Akcay E (2021) Quality assessment of frozen bull semen with the precursor A-kinase anchor pro-tein 4 biomarker. Andrologia e14164.
- Malo C, Carracedo S, Delehedde M, Sergeant N and Skidmore L (2021) Identification of proAKAP4 in Dromedary sperm and their correlation with monthly semen parameters. Reproduction & Fertility. Vol.2(4):268-279.
- Riesco M, Anel-Lopez L, Neila-Montero M, Palacin-Martinez C, Montes-Garrido R, Alvarez M, de Paz P, Anel L (2020) ProAKAP4 as Novel Molecular Marker of Sperm Quality in Ram: An Integrative Study in Fresh, Cooled and Cryopreserved Sperm. Biomolecules. 10(7):1046. doi: 10.3390/biom10071046.
- Delehedde M, Carracedo S, Selleslagh M, et al. ProAKAP4 polypeptide as a biomarker of sperm functionality and male fertility disorders. Int J Gynecol and Reprod Sci. (2019);2(1):13-19
- Sergeant N, Briand-Amirat L, Bencharif D and Delehedde M (2019) The Sperm Specific Protein ProAKAP4 as an innovative marker to evaluate sperm quality and fertility. Journal of Dairy & Veterinary Sciences. Vol. 11:01-19.
- Nixon B, Bernstein I, Cafe SL, Delehedde M, Sergeant S, Eamens AL, Lord T, Dun MD, De Iuliis GN and Bromfield EG (2019b) A Kinase Anchor Protein 4 is vulnerable to oxidative adduction in male germ cells. Frontiers in Cell and Developmental Biology – Vol. 7:319.
- Blommaert D, Sergeant N, Delehedde M, Jouy N, Mitchell V, Franck T, Donnay I, Lejeune JP and Serteyn D (2019) Expression, localization, and concentration of A-kinase anchor protein 4 (AKAP4) and its precursor (proAKAP4) in equine semen: Promising marker correlated to the total and progressive motility in thawed spermatozoa. Theriogenology. Vol. 131:52-60.
- Delehedde M, Blommaert D, Jouy N, Scabello J, Miersman H, Franck T, Serteyn D, Mitchell V and Sergeant S (2018) Concentration of proAKAP4 as a pertinent read-out of sperm quality in mammals. Animal Reproduction Science. Vol. 194:24.
- Blommaert D, Sergeant N, Delehedde M, Franck T, Lejeune JP and Serteyn D (2018) Significant correlation between the proAKAP4 concentration and the total and progressive motility in stallion sperm after thawing. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science. Vol. 66:43.
- Sergeant N, Jumeau F, Eddarkaoui S, Sigala J, Dossou GF, Delehedde M, Buee L, Yvoz JF and Mitchell V (2016) Investigating proteomic methods and tools to assess sperm quality. Animal Reproduction Science. Vol. 169:99-135.
Please visit our website www.4biodx-breeding.com to discover our tools dedicated to breeding and insemination centers.