Innovative immunoassay to assess semen quality in horse
The Horse 4MID® Kit (Ref. 4VDX-18K3) is the first immunoassay that validates objectively semen quality by quantifying a protein named proAKAP4 in samples of horse semen.
This ELISA kit is the 1st functional test to evaluate sperm quality and male fertility.
The dosage of the proAKAP4 biomarker with the Horse 4MID® Kit will bring you:
- Qualification of male ejaculate before and after cryopreservation
- Qualification of each breeding male
- Best semen for cryopreservation
- Selection of semen with long lasting motility and functionality at post-thaw
- Selection of semen with more mature, normal and less-tail abnormalities (indicator of good quality spermatogenesis
- Selection of best extender for stallion semen preservation
The concentration of the proAKAP4 biomarker is a good indicator of sperm quality and of how the spermatozoa can keep its motility high and efficient overtimes (Sergeant et al., 2019).
High concentrations of proAKAP4 help select semen with long lasting motility and are indicative of good spermatogenesis, giving more mature, more “normal’ spermatozoa and less tail abnormalities ratio in bull semen samples (Bastan and Akcay, 2021).
- Name: Horse 4MID® Kit
- Reference : 4VDX-18K3
- This ELISA kit allow to test from 1 to 88 samples simultaneously or individuously (12 breakable strips of 8 well per 96-well microplate / per kit)
- Working with fresh, chilled or frozen semen in extenders / on isolated spermatozoa
- Easy to use immunoassay
- Easy to interprete / to implement in breeding centers
- Robust, objective and reproductible method
Research Use Only Product (RUO) / Not for Diagnosis or Therapeutic Use.
Examples of references about AKAP4/proAKAP4 :
- Bastan I and Akcay E (2021) Quality assessment of frozen bull semen with the precursor A-kinase anchor pro-tein 4 biomarker. Andrologia e14164.
- Blommaert D, Franck T, Lejeune JF, Selleslagh M, Jouy N, Sergeant N, Serteyn D and Delehedde M (2019) The Horse 4MID® Kit as a promising tool to compare different freezing media to preserve stallion semen. Rev. Bras. Reprod. Anim. Vol 43(2):585.
- Delehedde M, Carracedo S, Selleslagh M, et al. ProAKAP4 polypeptide as a biomarker of sperm functionality and male fertility disorders. Int J Gynecol and Reprod Sci. (2019);2(1):13-19
- Sergeant N, Briand-Amirat L, Bencharif D and Delehedde M (2019) The Sperm Specific Protein ProAKAP4 as an innovative marker to evaluate sperm quality and fertility. Journal of Dairy & Veterinary Sciences. Vol. 11:01-19.
- Nixon B, Bernstein I, Cafe SL, Delehedde M, Sergeant S, Eamens AL, Lord T, Dun MD, De Iuliis GN and Bromfield EG (2019b) A Kinase Anchor Protein 4 is vulnerable to oxidative adduction in male germ cells. Frontiers in Cell and Developmental Biology – Vol. 7:319.
- Blommaert D, Sergeant N, Delehedde M, Jouy N, Mitchell V, Franck T, Donnay I, Lejeune JP and Serteyn D (2019) Expression, localization, and concentration of A-kinase anchor protein 4 (AKAP4) and its precursor (proAKAP4) in equine semen: Promising marker correlated to the total and progressive motility in thawed spermatozoa. Theriogenology. Vol. 131:52-60.
- Delehedde M, Blommaert D, Jouy N, Scabello J, Miersman H, Franck T, Serteyn D, Mitchell V and Sergeant S (2018) Concentration of proAKAP4 as a pertinent read-out of sperm quality in mammals. Animal Reproduction Science. Vol. 194:24.
- Blommaert D, Sergeant N, Delehedde M, Franck T, Lejeune JP and Serteyn D (2018) Significant correlation between the proAKAP4 concentration and the total and progressive motility in stallion sperm after thawing. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science. Vol. 66:43.
- Sergeant N, Jumeau F, Eddarkaoui S, Sigala J, Dossou GF, Delehedde M, Buee L, Yvoz JF and Mitchell V (2016) Investigating proteomic methods and tools to assess sperm quality. Animal Reproduction Science. Vol. 169:99-135.
- Turner R, Casas-Dolz P, Schlingmann K and Hameed S (2005) Characterization of an A-kinase anchor protein in equine spermatozoa and examination of the effect of semen cooling and cryopreservation on the binding of that protein to the regulatory subunit of protein kinase-A. American Journal of Veterinary Research. Vol. 66:1055-1056.
Please visit our website www.4biodx-breeding.com to discover our tools dedicated to breeding and insemination centers.